Pancakes coming at yo face
with chocolate like WOAH
So, have you ever managed to use 12 eggs in 3 days?
and then I had a craving for pancakes, and chocolate chip cookies.
It wasn’t an ideal situation because, no eggs = it’s hard to make pancakes. Or so I thought.
Turns out mashed banana is your best bro when it comes to making pancakes without eggs. Binding yo.
Oh and also, lots of chocolate helps too (did I mention I managed to buy 5 kg of 70% Callebaut the other day? Literally just because it was half the price and came in 2.5 kg bags. If you know me, you know I love 70% chocolate, so having that much chocolate around makes me extremely happy. Not to mention the bag has it’s own TRADE MARKED sealing system for chocolate called Choclock – that has got to make you laugh).
I made my Pancakes for One, but subbed extra banana for the egg whites. I also didn’t have any oat flour already ground, so I just used whole oats and blended everything up like an oaty blizzard. Then I added some dates for sweetness, and chocolate chips. Thus they ended up being gluten free and vegan, and solved this cookie/pancake/no-egg dilemma ALL AT THE SAME TIME.
It’s like I just made a cake for you, then told you I was also paying you £5 to eat it.
It’s not really like that, because lets be honest I’m broke (new camera + Paris #galsontour trip, heyoo…) so I wouldn’t give you that fiver and a free cake. STILL though, it’s a pretty sweet deal.
Is it breakfast, is it dessert? Who knows, I ate them at 3 pm today.
That’s not illegal.
That’s afternoon tea. Thanks Britain.
Chocolatey pancakes after breakfast/before dessert: JUSTIFIED.
Did I put maple syrup on them too?
– If you’re allergic to gluten, make sure your oats and baking powder are certified gluten free.
- 1/2 cup (40 g) old fashioned oats
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ripe banana, , peeled
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) milk (any kind - e.g. almond, cashew, oat, cow's - obvs don't use cow's milk if you're vegan)
- 2 dates, , pitted
- 2-3 tbsp dark chocolate chips, , plus more for topping (vegan, if required)
- coconut oil, , for frying (you can use regular vegetable oil too)
- Blend all the ingredients, except the chocolate chips, in a food processor or blender, until well mixed. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan with a little coconut oil. Dollop the batter into the frying pan (I go for a heaped tablespoon of batter) and spread out a bit with a spoon. Cook until lightly golden underneath, then flip and cook until the other side is golden. Serve warm with the remaining chocolate chips.