Since we are still in January, the month of resolutions and all, I wanted to share something fresh and healthy. I can’t say how much this dish has brightened up this drizzly, sofa-lazed, slight-hangover day. Made yesterday, I have spent today eating the vestiges out of tupperware in a manner very reminiscent of my student days. No plates, using just a plastic spoon I had knocking about my kitchen.
This carrot salad is a favorite of mine. Its fresh, filling and speedy to make. Its an ideal accompaniment to grilled meat or served mountained up on your plate with a wobbly soft poached egg on top. I would recommend going the full hog and making full recipe, since its a creation that improves with age. You can assemble and dress it all in advance. The only ingredient I recommend you hold back on, until serving, is the flaked almonds. Added too soon, they loose their crunch.
Its super simple, all you need is a mandolin (or a box grater), a frying pan and a bit of arm power. Or, If you are feeling particularly lazy/ its a Sunday, a food processor. You want to go for the long tin mandolin, wafer thin slicing attachment. Did I use mine for this dish?!Guilty as charged.
- 300 g (11 oz) carrots, sliced on a mandolin
- 400 g (14 oz) cooked chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 100 g (3.5 oz) soft dried apricots, cut into chickpea-sized pieces
- 30 g (1 oz) fresh parsley and mint, torn
- 50 g (2 oz) toasted flaked almonds
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1/4 cup / 60 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp honey
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt , , plus more to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon chilli powder
- To make the dressing, first toast the cumin seeds in a dry frying pan until fragrant and lightly browned, it will take only a minute or two.
- Let the seeds cool, and grind to a powder with a pestle and mortar.
- In a bowl or jar, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, honey, ground cumin, salt, and cayenne pepper. Set aside.
- In another, medium bowl, combine the carrots, chickpeas, apricots, mint, and almonds. Gently toss until everything is evenly coated. Serve immediately, or cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- (You can toss this salad, minus the almonds, hours in advance. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before serving.)