This week, I made a more sophisticated twist on the British classics – ‘Banoffee Pie’ (digestive biscuit crust, dulce de leche, sliced bananas and whipped cream) and ‘millionaire’s shortbread’ ( layered shortbread, caramel and chocolate) . This time, as a banana-walnut oatmeal bar (aka Flapjacks in the UK) topped with a salted caramel and a drizzle of milk chocolate.
Banoffee Pie Flapjacks
- 110 g (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
- 170 g (1/2 cup) golden syrup or mild honey
- 50 g (1/4 cup packed) light brown sugar
- 100 ml (1/3 cup + 1 tbsp) mashed ripe banana
- 280 g (3 1/2 cups) porridge oats
- 45 g (1/3 cup) toasted chopped walnuts optional
- 4 tbsp toasted desiccated coconut optional
For the salted caramel
- 100 ml dark brown sugar
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) double cream (heavy cream)
- 1/4 tsp flaky salt
- 45 g (3 tbsp) unsalted butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 150 g (5 1/4 ounces) dark or milk chocolate melted
- a handful walnuts chopped
For the banana flapjacks:
- Preheat the oven to 180°C fan (350°F fan) and line a 9" (23 cm) square tin with baking paper.
- Melt the butter in a medium pot over a low heat. Stir in the syrup and sugar then cook for 5 minutes over a medium-low heat, while constantly stirring.110 g (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, 170 g (1/2 cup) golden syrup or mild honey, 50 g (1/4 cup packed) light brown sugar
- Add in the mashed banana and cook for a further 2 minutes. Stir in the oats and optional extras (if you're adding them in).100 ml (1/3 cup + 1 tbsp) mashed ripe banana, 280 g (3 1/2 cups) porridge oats, 45 g (1/3 cup) toasted chopped walnuts, 4 tbsp toasted desiccated coconut
- Pour the mixture into the lined tray, then spread and flatten it out with your hands. Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown on top. Leave it in the pan and let it cool on a wire rack.
For the salted caramel:
- In a medium pot, stir together the brown sugar, cream and salt over a low heat until the sugar has dissolved completely.100 ml dark brown sugar, 125 ml (1/2 cup) double cream (heavy cream), 1/4 tsp flaky salt
- Turn the heat up to medium-high, bringing the mixture to a boil. Let it simmer while you stir constantly with a spatula, scraping the sides and edges of the pan, for 5-7 minutes, until the mixture has thickened slightly.
- Take it off the heat and add the butter and vanilla. Stir until the butter has melted in, then pour the caramel over the baked base and spread it so it covers the entire surface.45 g (3 tbsp) unsalted butter, 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Sprinkle on the chopped walnuts (if using) then chill until the caramel is firm.a handful walnuts
Decorate with chocolate:
- Cut into bars/ squares then dip the base of each square into some of the melted chocolate and place onto a piece of baking paper to set. Drizzle any leftover melted chocolate over the tops of the bars and leave until completely set.150 g (5 1/4 ounces) dark or milk chocolate
- Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.