Using an empty yoghurt pot as a measuring tool is a genius hack to do when you don’t have any kitchen scales! It’s all about the proportions of ingredients here so I’ve given the recipe in ‘pots’ (1 pot being a 100ml yoghurt pot) but also in weights for those who do have kitchen scales.
Lemon cake is always a strong favourite of mine and here it’s made extra moist with the addition of yoghurt, ground almonds and a good soaking of lemon syrup. That little extra step of pouring zippy lemon syrup over a hot cake is really what lights this cake up. You get an excellent flavour from it with that sweet-sour tang, plus a syrupy moistness throughout the loaf.
Lemon Yoghurt Pot Cake (Eggless)
- 1 pot plain yoghurt (100g)
- 1 pot water (100ml)
- 1 pot light olive oil (100ml)
- 2 pots granulated sugar (200g)
- zest of 2 lemons , finely grated
- 3 pots plain white flour (175g)
- 2 pots ground almonds (90g)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/4 tsp fine table salt
- 1 pot granulated sugar (100g)
- 3/4 pot lemon juice (70ml)
- Line a 2lb loaf tin with baking paper. Preheat the oven to 180C (350F) fan or 200C (400F) non-fan.
- Empty the contents of the 100g yoghurt pot into a medium bowl. Rinse the yoghurt pot out and dry it – you can now use it as a measuring tool for the rest of the recipe (or stick to the weights given if you prefer).
- To the bowl of yoghurt add the water, oil, sugar and lemon zest.1 pot water, 1 pot light olive oil, 2 pots granulated sugar, zest of 2 lemons
- Add in the flour, ground almonds, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt. Stir until you get a mostly smooth batter.3 pots plain white flour, 2 pots ground almonds, 1 tsp baking powder, 1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda, 1/4 tsp fine table salt
- Pour into the loaf tin and bake for 50-60 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. It will probably sink a bit as it cools, this is okay!
- As the cake is cooking, combine the syrup ingredients (lemon juice and sugar) in a small pot. Bring to the boil on the stove over a medium-low heat. Simmer for 2-3 minutes until slightly reduced and syrupy.1 pot granulated sugar, 3/4 pot lemon juice
- Poke holes in the baked cake while it is still hot and in the loaf tin. Pour the syrup all over the warm cake and leave to cool before removing from the tin, slicing and serving.