fbpx
Bread and Yeast Doughs Breakfast Pancakes & Waffles

Waffled Brioche French Toast

March 10, 2015

Waffled Brioche French Toast

With Mother’s Day coming up this weekend (well, in the UK at least) loads of people must be thinking about what to make to surprise their mums with for Sunday brunch. I’m teaming up with Cuisinart this month to create some ‘Classic Dish with a Twist’ recipes like this stunner. It’s super easy to make and is a snazzy mash-up of two of my favourite classic brunch dishes.

Waffled Brioche French Toast

First you take thick slices of brioche (I mean it, I’m talking a few cm thick. Don’t skimp! Embrace the butter life.) and soak them in the cinnamony French toast batter which is made of eggs, cinnamon, vanilla and milk – all things which you probably have on hand! Next ya cook it in the waffle maker instead of on the stove.  This is ideal because all those little waffle crevices equal a bigger surface area which means more crispy edge bits. We all know that that’s the best part.

The increased surface area plays another part in making it extra luscious and ‘treat-yo-self-worthy’ as there’s more space for the cinnamon sugar coating – this is 100% science.

I’m telling you, it’s verging on doughnut territory but I feel like ‘Waffled Brioche Doughnut French Toast’ is too long a title. As I’ve been redesigning my website this weekend (!) and updating the Recipe Index to a MEGA FANCY visual malarkey (!!!!!), I’ve noticed I have a lot of long recipe titles. I’m trying to cut back, I am. It’s hard, I like words too much :/ (I know for saying that, I’ll get a text from my friend later simply saying ‘NERD’ with a grandma emoji). Waffled Brioche French Toast

Did you notice that I’ve sneakily made this a double cinnamon recipe, too? Cinnamon batter and cinnamon-sugar coating, yeaaaah! I could have easily made it a triple whammy (cinnamon whipped cream, obvs) but I thought I’d scare people away. So, for now, double will do.

Waffled Brioche French Toast

– To veganise this recipe: Use the white bread in place of brioche, use a flax egg (1 tbsp ground flaxseed + 3 tbsp water) and plant milk. For the coating, use the coconut oil and pulse raw sugar in a food processor or blender until fine to use in place of the caster sugar.

Waffled Brioche French Toast

Ingredients

• 4 thick (~3 cm) slices of brioche or white bread
  • 1 egg or 1 flax egg (see notes)
  • 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup (125 ml) milk, any kind

For the coating:

• 2 tbsp butter or coconut oil , melted
  • 1/3 cup (60 g) caster (superfine) sugar
  • 2 tsp ground cinnamon

Thanks to Cuisinart for sponsoring this post! All opinions are my own.

You Might Also Like

• Leah March 10, 2015 at 9:05 pm

Adore this recipe, so creative! Also – loving the new look of the website 🙂

• Jade March 10, 2015 at 9:21 pm

Eugh, why do i not have a waffle iron in my life? Looks so delicious!

• cynthia March 10, 2015 at 9:46 pm

Absolutely, positively, TOTALLY incredible. OMG. I love everything about this French toast. And I LOVE the new logo!!!!!

• aimee @twigg studios March 10, 2015 at 9:51 pm

I love your new logo x

• Thea @ Baking Magique March 10, 2015 at 10:45 pm

The new design is beautiful and the recipe index is amazing! This mash up is one of the coolest things that’s ever happened! 🙂

• Erica March 10, 2015 at 11:42 pm

This is the french toast of my dreams. I just borrowed my mom’s waffle iron for a chicken and waffles party and now I think I might not give it back just so I can make this.

I’m a new blogger, just started in January, but I’ve been a fan of yours for quite some time now! You have a real talent and I am so inspired by your photos! It feels nice to finally gather up the courage and say hello!

• Rachel March 11, 2015 at 10:26 am

This is such a stupidly clever recipe, and as I have the waffle maker I’ll be making it asap! x

• June+Burns March 11, 2015 at 12:17 pm

What a cool idea! I’ve never tried waffled french toast but I think I will have to sometime soon… 🙂 Also I love your new website design, so clean and beautiful!

• Donna March 11, 2015 at 2:13 pm

Love, love, love this idea. I’ve seen people loading their waffle maker with all kinds of interesting things lately – French toast with crevices is a divine concept. We’ll have to try it at our house. Thanks for the inspiration!!

• Matea March 11, 2015 at 3:24 pm

Brioche, french toast, and waffles all in one! Yes please!
    And I love the new site design!

• Sara @ Cake Over Steak March 11, 2015 at 5:54 pm

Amazing! I love this idea. Genius.

• Jess @ Along Came Cherry March 11, 2015 at 6:35 pm

Yum! This looks amazing! x

• Erika March 11, 2015 at 9:35 pm

Aaaaand I just fell in love. Brioche, waffles, French toast…all my loves in the house minus pancakes! But there’s always next time. Your blog is looking beeeautiful! You go IZY HOSSACK!! <33

• Karen Kelly March 11, 2015 at 11:11 pm

Oh my gosh this is such a great idea. I love Brioche and it makes the perfect pairing for french toast since it’s so sweet. I think I’ll send this my kids way so that I can enjoy it for breakfast in bed! Hope my hubby can make it.

• Bec {Daisy and the Fox} March 12, 2015 at 11:41 am

Izy this is amazzzzzing!!! What more could one want in a breaky?!
    Perfection. Truly.
    Double cinnamon for the win!

thanks for the recipe and the new layout looks awesomeeee 🙂

Bec {Daisy and the Fox}

• Links & Things | spice it upspice it up March 12, 2015 at 3:44 pm

[…] Waffled Brioche French Toast-> OMG yum. […]

• Rebecca @ DisplacedHousewife March 12, 2015 at 4:33 pm

Genius! A merger of my two favorite breakfast foods!! I can’t wait to try this one. You sweets always look amazing. xx

• Angeline March 12, 2015 at 5:46 pm

This is making me hungryyyyyyyy!

• Ala March 13, 2015 at 12:57 am

It’s like a huge. Fat. Churro. But totally acceptable now for breakfast because hallelujah to the person who made French toast a breakfast thang. Cheers!!!!

• Friday Wallflavourites: Edition 23 | Wallflour Girl March 13, 2015 at 1:52 am

[…] out this Waffled Brioche French Toast via the uber-talented Top with Cinnamon! Color me […]

• Charlie (Chockywoky) March 13, 2015 at 8:23 am

Love this so, so much!

I’ve included it in a link love thing of mine + a picture. Do let me know if you have any objections/concerns.

Thanks Izy!

• Laura @ Laura's Culinary Adventures March 13, 2015 at 11:34 am

What a great mash-up! What a fun and delicious way to treat your mom!

• Millie | Add A Little March 13, 2015 at 3:13 pm

This looks fantastic and love how easy it is to make!

• Gemma March 13, 2015 at 11:38 pm

You had me at waffle…but seriously, this waffled brioche french toast is everything!!! <3
    This recipe has everything I want/like/crave all the time!

xoxo

• Currently Crushing On. | How Sweet It Is March 14, 2015 at 12:24 pm

[…] this waffled brioche french toast. oooh! […]

• Leigha @ The Yooper Girl March 15, 2015 at 1:43 am

Your new look! It’s beautiful! Although I was also in love with the last one as well. And ahhh visual recipe indexes make my eyes SO happy. I’ve been wanting to do that but I don’t know a plugin/the coding to make it possible! If you wanted to show us how you did it that’d be fanTAStic.

This looks pretty wonderful too 🙂 GENIUS making french toast in waffle form!!

• Kari March 15, 2015 at 7:31 pm

These look amazing! Soooo yummy!
    Kari

• Emily March 15, 2015 at 9:11 pm

This looks divine! I can’t tell you how much in awe I am of your work!

• Gemma March 28, 2015 at 9:10 am

Just tried this amazing brioche french toast. Total sugary, doughnutty success! Perfect for a Saturday morning with my black coffee.

• Izy March 28, 2015 at 9:11 am

Yay! Glad to hear that you liked it 🙂

• heartnatured April 1, 2015 at 1:43 pm

[…] Waffled Brioche French Toast. Enough said. […]

• Mahée Ferlini June 2, 2015 at 4:48 pm

Great recipe! Looks quick and easy too. Thanks for sharing!

• Waffles for the Weekend | September 27, 2015 at 2:52 am

[…] via Top With Cinnamon […]

• Resistance Is Futile: 22 Fabulous French Toast Recipes | beta.gothamtommy.com July 13, 2016 at 12:46 am

[…] Get the recipe: waffled brioche french toast. […]

• They Never Knew That Waffle Irons Can Do These Works – Viral Trendzz September 20, 2017 at 7:16 pm

[…] you are a French toast fan then you definitely going to love this. You can make a normal recipe French toast in a waffle […]

•   powered by chloédigital