Mexican chorizo, seasoned with spices like cumin, dried chillies and clove, is very different to what we in the UK know as chorizo (i.e. Spanish chorizo) which is predominantly flavoured with smoked paprika.
These tacos are inspired by the Mexican dish of chorizo & potato tacos – I’ve used Linda McCartney’s Vegetarian Sausages, crumbled up and pan fried until a bit crispy. This is then seasoned with a blend of spices to bring that Mexican chorizo flavour, whilst still being veggie.
The combo of the spicy, meaty chorizo with the crispy potatoes is an excellent match and is perfect wrapped up in a warmed tortilla with some lime and coriander.
Linda McCartney Vegetarian Sausage Chorizo and Potato Tacos
Chorizo Spice blend:
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin seed
- 1 tsp coriander seed
- 3 whole cloves
- 5 black peppercorns
- 1 dried ancho chili (see notes for substitutes)
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
For the tacos:
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 Linda McCartney’s Vegetarian Sausages , defrosted
- 2 cloves garlic , finely minced
- 1 tbsp chorizo spice blend
- 2 medium potatoes , cut into ~3cm chunks
- 1/2 white onion , roughly chopped
- 6-8 small tortillas , warmed
- Lime wedges
- Fresh coriander , finely chopped
Make the spice blend first:
- Toast the cumin, coriander, cloves, peppercorns and chilli in a dry frying pan over a medium heat until fragrant. Blitz with the bay leaves until powdery (or grind with a pestle & mortar) and then mix with the remaining spices. Set aside.
Start on the taco filling:
- Place the diced potato into a medium pot and cover with water. Place over a medium heat and bring to the boil. Cook for around 6-8 minutes until tender but not too soft. Drain and let them sit in the sieve/colander for a few minutes to allow the potato cubes to dry out a bit.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large frying pan. Once hot, crumble in the defrosted Linda McCartney’s sausages and let cook over a medium heat, stirring occasionally, until it starts to brown. Add the garlic and 1 tbsp of spice blend and stir through for 2 minutes. Transfer this sausage mixture to a bowl and wipe out the pan.
- Return the pan to a medium heat and add the remaining oil. Add the cooked potato cubes and cook, stirring every now and then, until they become crisp all over. At this point, add the diced onion and stir through. Cook until the onion starts to become translucent (around 5 minutes) then add in the cooked sausage mixture. Stir together.
- Serve the sausage/potato mixture in warmed tortillas with a squeeze of lime and a sprinkle of coriander.