– Candied lime zest recipe here (I curled the warm, sugared zest around a wooden skewer and left it to cool like that to create the spiral effect).
– For the method I’ve kept it simple and instructed for using a muffin pan. The other cake pans in the photos are unusual so their baking times wouldn’t be very useful!
– Recipe adapted from Women’s Weekly Indulgent Cakes *
For the cakes:
- 3/4 cup (150 g) granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup (150 g) unsalted butter
- zest of 1 lime
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups (150 g) plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
For the elderflower-lime syrup:
- juice of 1 lime
- 1/4 cup elderflower cordial
- 1 tbsp water
For the icing:
- 1 cup (100 g) powdered sugar
- elderflower cordial
- mango , , cubed very small
- candied lime zest , (see notes)
- Preheat the oven to 350 F, grease and flour a muffin pan.
- In a large bowl cream together the butter, sugar and zest until light and fluffy. Add in the eggs and cream again until fully mixed. Sift in the flour and baking powder and stir in until just combined. Spoon the batter into the prepared pan and smooth out. Bake for 20-25 minutes until the cakes are golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the centre of a cake comes out clean. Turn the cakes out onto a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, stir together the syrup ingredients (lime juice, cordial and water). Poke holes all over the cakes and brush with the syrup then leave to cool completely.
- In another small bowl place the powdered sugar. Add elderflower cordial, a teaspoon at a time, stirring between additions until a thick glaze mixture is formed. Spoon this over the cakes then decorate with mango cubes, candied zest and elderflowers before the glaze sets. Leave to set and then serve, storing leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Other flowery recipes!
- Baking Magique | Salted Lavender Chocolate Buckwheat Cookies (Gluten Free)
- The Bojon Gourmet | Hibiscus, Rhubarb + Yogurt Ice Pops
- Bread + Barrow | An Edible Flower Luncheon
- Dunk & Crumble | Strawberry Lilac Pavlovas
- Earthy Feast | Lentil Salad with Browned Butter Baby Turnips, Sourdough Bits, Soft Boiled Egg, Microgreens + Marigold
- EGeeDee | Coconut Golas (Indian Shaved Ice on a Stick) in a Hibiscus Syrup
- Fix Feast Flair | Mini Pistachio-Rose Olive Oil Cakes with Lemon-Chamomile Whipped Cream
- Ginger and Toasted Sesame | Hwajeon: Sweet Matcha Rice Cakes with Fresh Flowers and Honey Syrup
- Kale & Caramel | Ricotta & Basil Stuffed Nasturtiums
- A Little Saffron | Raspberry Rose Fizz
- London Bakes | Strawberry + Rose Cake (Gluten Free)
- Snixy Kitchen | Chamomile Honeycomb Ice Cream
- Vegetarian Ventures | Breakfast Sweet Potato with Hibiscus Tea Yogurt & Turmeric Granola
- Vidya Living | Rustic Rhubarb, Strawberry & Chamomile Galette (Gluten Free)
- Will Frolic for Food | Lilac Lemon Grapefruit Sherbet (Vegan)
* affiliate link