There’s so much fresh produce around now, all my favourites are coming into season. No. 1: asparagus. Followed by peas (which I will eat MOUNTAINS of fresh from the pod) and broad beans.
What better way is there to celebrate all of this delicious stuff than combining it into a simple, quick pasta dish. It’s perfect for an easy week night meal and there’s not to much messing around with the ingredients so you really let the freshness of them greens take center-stage.
You may have noticed that there’s basil and lemon in there too – not an uncommon pairing on here. I just find it to be such a light, perfect way to lift the flavours without having to get pesto involved. Don’t get me wrong, I love pesto 100%, but it can monopolize the other ingredients in a dish and make it Basil-Olive Oil Central. Whereas I wanted it to be more like a basil-olive oil post-it note, if that makes sense (probably not..).
I also got to use this ADORABLE casarecce pasta! It’s so twirly and the perfect shape for the asparagus and sugar snaps. Of course something like penne or fusilli would work just as well but uhhh would it look as cute?
Casarecce with Griddled Asparagus, Sugar Snap Peas and RicottaPrint
- 2 cups (200 g) casarecce pasta
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- a small handful of fresh basil leaves , , finely chopped
- Zest and juice of a lemon
- salt for seasoning
- 7 oz (200 g) asparagus (bend each stalk until it snaps to remove the woody ends)
- 7 oz (200 g) sugar snap peas
- 4 oz (110 g) ricotta cheese
- In a large pot of well-salted, boiling water cook the pasta until al-dente (according to the directions on the packet). Drain the pasta, return it to the pot and toss with the olive oil, chopped basil, lemon zest and half of the lemon juice. Season with salt, to taste. Discard the remaining lemon juice and set the pasta aside.
- In a griddle pan, cook the asparagus spears over a high heat for a few minutes - turning them over using kitchen tongs - until tender and slightly charred. Thinly slice the sugar snap peas length-ways into strips.
- In a large serving bowl, arrange the pasta, grilled asparagus and sliced sugar snap peas. Dot with spoonfuls of the ricotta cheese. Serve warm or at room temperature.