If you’ve been reading TWC for a year now, you’ll have witnessed the super green popsicles I made for the 2013 popsicle week – aka the best food week of the year. Billy of Wit & Vinegar is the genius behind the popsicle week idea so make sure you head on over to his site where you can check all the other popsicles that people have been making for the past 7 days alll over the internet.
Of course I’ve had one heck of a full week because when you spend a month indoors staring at biology notes it makes you tiny bit stir-crazy. So trust that I stirred that crazy up this week and now, finally on Sunday I’m able to share my popsicle creation for 2014.
So I also maybe only realised today that in the US, a new week begins on Sunday and ends on Saturday whereas here in the UK it’s a Monday-Sunday affair (I don’t really get it – kind of like Fahrenheit and inches which I’m only accustomed to using in cooking situations. Whenever I’m in the US and someone’s like ‘and it was 40 degrees!’ I’m thinking: is that really cold? is that not so cold?…then I end up having to Google it because unless you’re saying 35o F to me, I have no clue man). Weird huh? but hey ho cultural differences make the world a more interesting place and it’s still popsicle week in my casa – it is 11.50 pm right now so only for 10 more minutes – but we can ignore that.
These pops are kind of a world away from last years’ as they’ve got full on luscious double cream going on in there but there’s still fruit! It also wouldn’t matter if you chose to replace the cream with more yogurt because I knooow it’s bikini season or whatev and I’m also going to be posting cake or possibly pie next week, so some healthier treats are probably a good shout…
Strawberry, Peaches and Cream Popsicles with AmarettiPrint
- 3 or 4 peaches , , quartered + pitted
- 10 strawberries , , hulled
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) double cream (heavy cream)
- 2/3 cup (160 ml) plain, low fat yogurt
- 1 tbsp honey
- 5 amaretti cookies , , roughly crushed
- Blend together the peaches, strawberries, cream and yogurt in a blender until smooth.
- Place about a tablespoon of the crushed amaretti cookies into each well of the popsicle mold. Divide the peach mixture between the wells of the popsicle mold. Freeze for about an hour then push in the popsicle sticks. Freeze for a minimum of 5 hours until solid.