Who got distracted by watching knife skill videos? I DID.
Who also decided to prep cinnamon rolls tonight for her birthday breakfast!? STILL me.
So that’s why I’m bringing the last installment of my Valentine’s meal plan a few hours later than I had planned! However, now, in all its glory we’ve got…
– Starter: Lettuce Boats with Sweet Potato, Grapefruit and Paprika Mayo
– Main: Sticky Glazed Meatballs with Cauliflower Quinoa Pilaf (GF with Vegetarian variation)
– Dessert: Flourless Chocolate & Pomegranate Mini Cake
The recipe for this lovely, fudgy cake comes from one of my recent favourite cookbooks. You may be familiar with Kamran’s blog, The Sophisticated Gourmet, in which case you’d also know his first cookbook was recently published! I’ve followed along with the behind-the-scenes pics he’s been posting on instagram for SO LONG. I craved this book, people.
And let me tell you oh how worth the wait was!
I’ve already made the bagel recipe (twice as regular bagels and three times as an adapted invention: Bagel Bread Loaf which I posted a few months ago), the blueberry cornmeal muffins, the blondies plus now the flourless chocolate cake all of which lasted less than 24 hours. It’s an utterly gorgeous book – all of the recipes styled and photographed by Kamran himself.
I only made 1/3 of the flourless chocolate cake so that it was juuust small enough for two people to share (keepin’ with the theme, guys!). I dolloped freshly whipped double cream on top and scattered on some juicy pomegranate arils. I have no clue why food seems to go all red velvet/strawberry themed for Valentine’s – pomegranates are the ancient fruit of love (..okay apparently so are quinces but they’re not red so they can get out) AND they’re red AND they’re a lot more seasonal than strawberries or raspberries (for the UK, at least). So YAY for pomegranates, beautiful books and rich chocolate cakes.
See you when I’m 19!
– Recipe from Handmade Baking by Kamran Siddiqi (Chronicle Books)*
– I only made 1/3 of the batter from the original recipe so that it makes a small, quite thin cake (enough for 2 HUNGRY or 3-4 not-so-hungry people!).
– It’s a very rich batter which bakes to a kind of brownie-like texture. I highly recommend serving with the whipped cream, whipped coconut cream or vanilla ice cream. Just something to cut the intensity of the chocolate flavour!
– Don’t have pomegranate? Use sliced strawberries or raspberries instead.
– This is an amazing dessert to make ahead of time. Just chill the baked, cooled cake until you’re ready to serve then decorate with the cream + fruit and EAT!
Small Flourless Chocolate Cake
- 2 medium eggs separated
- 66 g (1/3 cup) granulated sugar
- pinch salt
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 66 g (2.3 oz) dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids) melted
- 66 g (4 ½ tbsp) unsalted butter
- 60 ml (1/4) boiling water
- whipped cream, fresh pomegranate seeds optional
- To make the cake: Preheat the oven to 350 F (180 C). Grease and line a 6 or 4-inch cake tin with some oil (Alternatively, grease 2 large muffin cups).
- In a large bowl whisk the egg whites whilst gradually pouring in the sugar until firm peaks form.2 medium eggs, 66 g (1/3 cup) granulated sugar
- In a medium bowl, mix together the egg yolks, salt, cocoa and vanilla.2 medium eggs, pinch salt, 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder, 1 tsp vanilla extract
- In a small pot melt together the chocolate and butter over a low heat until melted. Pour this into the egg yolk mixture and whisk to combine. Slowly beat the boiling water into the chocolate mixture too.66 g (2.3 oz) dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids), 66 g (4 ½ tbsp) unsalted butter, 60 ml (1/4) boiling water
- Mix about 1/4 of the beaten egg whites into the yolk mixture to loosen it. Then pour the yolk mixture into the egg whites and gently fold together using a rubber spatula.
- Pour cake mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 20-30 minutes, it should still be set and dry on top. (The 6" pan will need around 20-25 mins, muffin tins will need 15-20 mins). Leave to cool completely in the tin before turning out onto a plate.
- Serve with the whipped cream and fresh pomegranate arils.
*tis indeed an affiliate link. Thanks for your support!