I’m loving these pretzels! I’ve made them a few times over the past few weeks, tweaking the recipe here and there, hopefully making it just right.
It’s never gunna be as good as one you knead for ages, and leave to rise a few times for a couple of hours,
but it’s damn fast, and deliciously satisfying when you’re having an intense need for something soft & doughy to munch on.
– this is basically no-knead (or minimal-knead haha) and only has a 15 minute rise.
-If you want the pretzel super shiny (like the main pretzel in these photos) then brush with egg yolk after it’s been dipped in the baking soda solution, and before you sprinkle on the toppings
– Don’t bake them on parchment paper. Unless you grease it a LOT It sticks. I know.
- 1/3 cup (45g) whole wheat bread flour, plus a little more for shaping (you can use all purpose, whole wheat or strong here)
- pinch of sugar
- generous pinch of salt
- 1 tsp active dried yeast
- 3 to 4 tbsp warm water
- 1/2 cup warm water , , 1 tsp baking soda (and 1 egg yolk, if you want it to look shiny)
- coarse sea salt , , cinnamon-sugar, sesame seeds, poppy seeds, rosemary
- In a small bowl, combine the first 4 ingredients. Stir in 3 tbsp of water first. If the dough is SUPER dry, then add a little more water and mix again.
- Pour the entire contents of the bowl out, onto a lightly floured work surface and sprinkle with flour
- Knead gently until the dough comes together into a ball - it'll be slightly sticky - it should only take 1 or 2 minutes.
- Shape the dough into a roughly 20" rope. Make the rope into a U shape, twist the ends over each other and fold them down over the base of the 'U' to make a pretzel shape (see the .gif below)
- In a shallow dish, combine the water and baking soda (from the dipping ingredients). Dip the shaped pretzel into the mixture and flip to coat completely. Transfer to a well-oiled baking sheet. (If you want a shiny pretzel, brush it with egg yolk now).
- Immediately sprinkle over your topping(s) of choice. Leave in a nice warm place to rise whilst you preheat the oven to 450 degrees F (225 degrees C) - for about 15 minutes.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until darkly golden.
- Eat immediately.